- Written by Dimitar Kirkovski
Assoc. Prof. Tsanko Gechev
Position: Director of the Center of Plant Systems Biology and Biotechnology (CPSBB)
Department: Head of Department of Molecular Stress Physiology, CPSBB
Department: Head of Department of Funding, CPSBB
Person-in-Charge of the Center of Plant Systems Biology and Biotechnology (CPSBB) for the PlantaSYST project
Tsanko Gechev is Associate Professor at the University of Plovdiv, where he teaches Molecular Biology and Molecular Genetics. Since 2015, he is the Director of the Center of Plant Systems Biology and Biotechnology (CPSBB).
Dr. Gechev obtained a PhD in Biochemistry at the University of Plovdiv. He had specializations at the University of Gent (Belgium), Plant Research International and the University of Groningen (The Netherlands), Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH, Zurich, Switzerland), University of Nebraska-Lincoln (USA), University of Potsdam and the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology (Germany).
Current research interests of Dr. Gechev include: Plant Genomics, Reactive oxygen species as modulators of plant stress responses and programmed cell death, Molecular mechanisms of desiccation tolerance in Haberlea rhodopensis.
Dr. Gechev is member of the Federation of European Biochemical Societies (FEBS) and the Union of Scientists in Bulgaria.
In 2017, Dr. Gechev received the Pythagoras prize awarded by the Ministry of Education and Science of Bulgaria.
- Gechev T., Petrov V. (2022)
- Plant systems biology in 2022 and beyond. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 23: 415. (IF 5.923)
- Tong H., Nankar A.N., Liu J., Todorova V., Ganeva D., Grozeva S., Tringovska I., Pasev Gancho., Radeva-Ivanova V., Gechev T., Kostova D., Nikoloski Z. (2022)
- Genomic prediction of morphometric and colorimetric traits in Solanaceous fruits. Horticulture Research. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/hr/uhac072 (IF 6.793)
- Gechev T., Lyall R., Petrov V., Bartels D. (2021)
- Systems biology of resurrection plants. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences. 78: 6365–6394. (IF 9.261)
- Staykov N.S., Angelov M., Petrov V., Minkov P., Kanojia A., Guinan K.J., Alseekh S., Fernie A.R., Neerakkal S., Gechev T. (2021)
- An Ascophyllum nodosum-derived biostimulant protects model and crop plants from oxidative stress. Metabolites. 11(1): 24. (IF 4.932)
- Rasul F., Gupta S., Olas J.J., Gechev T., Sujeeth N., Mueller-Roeber B. (2021)
- Priming with a seaweed extract strongly improves drought tolerance in Arabidopsis. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 22: 1469. (IF 5.923)
- Faisal M., Gechev Т., Mueller-Roeber B., Dijkwel P. (2020)
- Putative alternative translation start site-encoding nucleotides of CPR5 regulate growth and resistance. BMC Plant Biology 20(1): 295. (IF 4.215)
- Gechev T., Georgiev M.I., Fernie A.R. (2020)
- PlantaSyst: Teaming-up for systems biology and biotechnology. Trends in Plant Science. 25(7): 621-624. (IF 18.313)
- Gechev T., Petrov V. (2020)
- Reactive oxygen species and abiotic stress in plants. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 21: 7433. (IF 5.923)
- Kanojia A., Gupta S., Benina M., Fernie A.R., Mueller-Roeber B., Gechev T., Dijkwel P. (2020)
- Developmentally controlled changes during Arabidopsis leaf development indicate causes for loss of stress tolerance with age. Journal of Experimental Botany. 71: 6340–6354. (IF 6.992)
- Kerchev P., van der Meer T., Sujeeth S., Verlee A., Stevens C.V., Van Breusegem F., Gechev T. (2020)
- Molecular priming as an approach to induce tolerance against abiotic and oxidative stresses in crop plants. Biotechnology Advances. 40: 107503. (IF 14.227)
- Lyall R., Gechev T. (2020)
- Multi-omics insights into the evolution of angiosperm resurrection plants. Annual Plant Reviews Online. 3(1): 77-110.
- Lyall R., Nikoloski Z., Gechev T. (2020)
- Comparative analysis of ROS network genes in extremophile eukaryotes. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 21: 9131. (IF 5.923)
- Omidbakhshfard M.A., Sujeeth N., Gupta S., Omranian N., Guinan K.J., Brotman Y., Nikoloski Z., Fernie A.R., Mueller-Roeber B., Gechev T. (2020)
- A biostimulant obtained from the seaweed Ascophyllum nodosum protects Arabidopsis thaliana from severe oxidative stress. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 21(2): 1–26. (IF 5.923)
- Sujeeth N., Mehterov N., Gupta S., Qureshi M.K., Fischer A., Proost S., Omidbakhshfard M.A., Obata T., Benina M., Staykov N., Balazadeh S., Walther D., Fernie A.R., Mueller-Roeber B., Hille J., Gechev T. (2020)
- A novel seed plants gene regulates oxidative stress tolerance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences. 77: 705–718. (IF 9.261)
- Gupta S., Dong Y., Dijkwel P., Mueller-Roeber B., Gechev T. (2019)
- Genome-wide analysis of ROS antioxidant genes in resurrection species suggest an involvement of distinct ROS detoxification systems during desiccation. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 20(12): 3101. (IF 4.556)
- Durgud M., Gupta S., Ivanov I., Omidbakhshfard A., Benina M., Alseekh A., Staykov N., Hauenstein M., Dijkwel P.P., Hörtensteiner S., Toneva V., Brotman Y., Fernie A.R., Mueller-Roeber B., Gechev T. (2018)
- Molecular mechanisms preventing senescence in response to prolonged darkness in a desiccation–tolerant plant. Plant Physiology. 177(3): 1319–1338. (IF 6.305)
- Petrov V., Qureshi, M. K., Hille, J., Gechev T. (2018)
- Occurrence, biochemistry and biological effects of host-selective plant mycotoxins. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 112: 251–264. (IF 3.775)
- Benina M., Ribeiro DM, Gechev T., Mueller-Roeber B., Schippers JH (2015)
- A cell type-specific view on the translation of mRNAs from ROS-responsive genes upon paraquat treatment of Arabidopsis thaliana leaves. Plant Cell and Environment. 38(2): 349-63. (IF 7.228)
- Petrov V., Hille J, Mueller-Roeber B., Gechev T. (2015)
- ROS-mediated abiotic stress-induced programmed cell death. Frontiers in Plant Science. 6: 69. (IF 5.753)